Friday, July 30, 2010

Sick Humming Bird.

For little more than a week now this loner radio; (not my radio) a Yaesu FT8500 with the Yaesu DTMF Microphone MH-39 has been producing a 60 cycle like hum noise when I transmit. I have been aware of this; since the start. For the few of you that insist on being radio doctors, and this list is short. I do ask of you to please stop trying to fix it. I know what the problem is. It is for sure the microphone shown below.

The problem is that it appears the microphone cable is not shielded enough to prevent any noise generated around my house or neighborhood; from getting into the microphone. Typically known as a grounding issue. I know this because it a few months ago I had singular problem with a Yaesu FT8900 microphone. To resolve that issue I traded microphones with somebody else; then the problem on this end was gone instantly. In fact my microphone turned out to work fine at his place.

Sense what I believe to be 1996 I have been running all of my radio equipment on the following power source. Astron power supplies. As of now this is the one I am using. An Astron RS-35M power supply, and in the last three years; from time to time transformer or some other component gets noisy. Pictured below.

To be fair; These so-called radio doctors who have been making comments are not typically found on my hang out frequency. I have had a lot more of you; on my hang out frequency tell me that the interference in question was not making me inaudible; all the time.

As soon as I am told by one or more persons that this noise is very very bad and cannot be heard without severe difficulty; I will stop turn off the radio. I am getting some up and coming help; in which hopefully the problem shell be resolved. I also hope to address some equipment grounding issues throughout the shack as well.

I will soon get my own radios back from their places of repaired, and therefore will announce to the ham world; when the radio gods have decided to bless me. Meanwhile pray for me to have good radio vibes. Oh yeah I googled these images; they are not mine.



This is the microphone in question.



This is the radio that the microphone is connected to. Note I do not have, nor do I want to use the microphone pictured with this radio. (FS-10)



Astron RS-35M power supply.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article Thank

you so much!

Elden said...

You don't have that fancy mic? It seems to me you'd have a hard time operating that particular radio without it. No knobs on the front.