Thursday, July 22, 2010

Quickie Ford VS Quickie Ferrari

A few months after I arrived in the Portland metro area, I had to have a wheelchair to get around. I definitely needed it when I started college in the fall of 2002 because of the large campus and for a large amount books I need to carry around. So I ended up getting the Quickie II Breezy. The first picture seen below. I jokingly; for years now called this my Quickie Ford for two reasons. First because it weighs about 40 pounds without me and my gear on it or in it.

Throughout junior high and high school I played wheelchair sports and had many opportunities to use quickie chairs. Even today I can't see myself using any other brand.

As we all know it sucks getting old not to mention having to push a 40 pound chair around for eight to ten hours a day; isn't the least little bit pleasant. For six years now I injured my back a number of times, to the point that the first chair tins to aggravate me more now than it did even seven or eight years ago.

So I think it was about two months ago I had a conversation with my primary doctor about an upgrade of my wheels. The steps after that and a couple of phone calls as well as a little bit of waiting. Yesterday this process began. The fitting need for a chair, so after a couple of hours of talking and measuring along with a test drive, I will soon have what I will be calling my quickie Ferrari. This is the latest technology Quickie has out today. See the second picture below.



Quickie II Breezy
Click on the picture to see larger view

After 12 years of use I am sick of pushing around 35 to 40 pounds of weight, and mag wheels that are heavy. Now it's time for some better back support. oh yeah I did forget to tell you over the years the first chair above that I've done a whole lot of modifications just to make it work a little better for me.



Quickie Q7
Click on the picture to see larger view

For the most part this is my new chair; that I should get in about two months. I was even allowed to pick at a new seat cushion as well as the paint color that's known as Root Beer Brown. I chose this color because dark colors I believe it won't show scratches or any other damage as much, nor much dirt. Black is just a little too plain. The flashy colors like yellow, green, orange, and even pink just aren't me. There will be a few minor differences on mind than there is on this one. One better back support. Two different back wheels and front forks and casters. In addition to frame adjustments and measurements.

After just a few minutes of a test drive I was thrilled and even asked if I could take it home; to break in for a week. ha ha!!! This thing amazingly moves around so smoothly and turned on a dime, meaning I can do 360s in very tight spaces. My arms and shoulders had no idea they were moving a chair.

I consider myself somewhat of a patient guy but after 12 years I just can't wait; I'll just have to I guess. I'll keep you up to speed as to when my quickie Ferrari arrives.

No comments: