Saturday, July 17, 2010

Radio Trouble VS Antenna Trouble.

Well darn it the saga continues and it gets worse. What I thought might just be a radio problem wound up being that and more. Not only did I harm my radio; the one I just bought three weeks ago. I have discovered the following; with more help from two more people earlier today. This afternoon the two guys checked out my antennas and their connections.

All is well on the VHF/UHF font, meaning all connections are good at both ends. As far as my 706 goes; it's in capable hands on its way to be fixed. There is bad news to report though, on the HF side of things. after taking my Solarcon Antron 99 antenna down; that's made entirely of fiberglass. It had water at the base of the antenna; which then made its way down the coax. Once the intent was down the guys pointed out the fact that not only was the coax full of water but that they could see water running down the entire length of the antenna. So no HF for now.

I don't how old the antenna actually was; probably first used in the mid 80s. But at least I got five years out of it. I'm not too terribly worried about my antennas at this point, considering that I have bigger troubles to concern myself with right now. Meaning I have two radios to repair. I guess when it rains it pours; I have never had the best radio luck in the world and why not include antennas these days.

No comments: